Pages

Friday 4 October 2013

Admist Rethinking Freedom

A few days ago something happened in Tanzania that made me rethink on the term "freedom." What does it really mean to be free? Before I get ahead of myself and embark with you through my sea of confusion (that I call thinking), I'd better identify the trigger. On the 28th of September, Tanzanian government passed their judgement to punish two papers for some seditious and malicious publications, Mtanzania and Mwananchi. I have to say, I do wonder who are really being punished by this decision.

Some of the Tanzanian papers on display (photo retrieved from play.google.com)

So, what do I make of the whole issue you ask? Well, the way I see it is no different from a decision to bench all teachers, close classrooms, cease lessons in an entire school because one or two of the teachers have broken a professional code of conduct. I wonder, what do the students do in the mean time? And what of the other teachers? In short, If that is justice...protection of the greater good... I shudder to think of what the alternative could be.


Here I went wondering, or should I say eye and mind wandering,stumbling upon Freedom of the media and which gives my head quite a spin. I'll share with you three of the areas my weary thought trudged on; intention, "leashes and bars",  and consequence. 

I believe it logical  that with every choice we act upon, there is an intent we want fulfilled; even though sometimes we may not necessarily make it clear to the second and third party what the intentions of our actions are. As Newton's third law of motion states "for every action there is an equal and opposing reaction," the same applies in this stance. As actors we may intend our actions, however, receivers or audience may interpret precisely or differently. So what guides reaction? Is it intention or interpretation? Before you drown in my sea of confusion, let me bring you up for air. I wonder, what was the intention behind the said published stories that brought on so much saga? Was the interpretation that birthed the troubling punishment and equally striking appeals fair? I have also noticed, in this case, how often the intent of the "punisher" is being questioned and even doubted. Again the interpretation of the punishment has worn different faces on the receivers. If I could but put smileys I'd get smiles, frowns, angry faces, puzzled faces, snoozing-don't-disturb faces, wailing faces and such and such. Before I jump to the consequence of this, let's visit the engines that drive or hinge intention.

I call these "leashes and bars" The saying "media is the watchdog of the society" becomes my paddler here. I have found it necessary to identify and scrutinize the owner of this watchdog that blows the whistle, calls it to heel, holds the leash and holds the keys to the kennel; or if such exists. It's important to know who is considered harmful and who harmless to deserve a bark or a wag. In a world where media is considered the fourth arm of democracy, is it really free to act when it is cuffed by the other arm? When the intent of the journalist to be just to his profession is hindered by the advertiser who threatens the existence of his bread and butter, is this arm termed free? When this watchdog that wants to secure a village 5 buses-a-motorcycle-bicycle-and-a-donkey away, is leashed by a budget or deadlines; do we say it's free? When this dog is beaten, bruised and sometimes killed for barking and snarling in the wrong company, do we still term it free? Why then do we accept some leashes and cry bloody-murder at others?


The consequences of our actions is determined by the reactions of the life around us. Though I do think life is a chain of reactions, some at par and some opposing (as Newton pointed out). These reactions are what birth and ensure the continuity of change. Again what kind of reactions these are will determine the direction of change; for better or for worse. This is why I use the term consequence; the consequences of actions. To guide consequence we have rights and responsibilities, sometimes self and sometimes state imposed. How they are interpreted, is a profound question. Do laws and regulations threaten freedom? Or is the interpretation of these the real threat? Or maybe, is it the interpreter who's the threat?

My dear reader, let me drop anchor on this coast and drop you off before this sea of confusion weathers you out some more. I'll keep drifting on and maybe do a little fishing for ideas along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment